Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Farm Fresh Garden Salad & Homemade Dressing with a Kick

This past week, we received our first batch of food from Urban Acres co-op. They gather foods from local organic farmers and we receive it within just a day or two of it being harvested. On Saturday, I whipped up a delicious salad with our tasty produce! 

The freshness of the produce with the flavor of the dressing hit the spot on a sunny summer day. 



Produce:
Lettuce - the type we received wasn't specified, but it seemed like romaine to me
Tomatoes
Corn on the cob - I cut it off the cobb when it cooled
Cucumber

Dressing:
2 tbsp virgin Olive Oil 
1 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
1/2 tsp Sugar
1/2 lemon juice (this can be omitted if you don't have it)
5-7 drops of hot sauce - use less if you're worried about it being too spicy
Few dashes of salt and pepper
1/4 tsp or so of garlic powder/granules 


I started by boiling the corn to cook it so it would have time to cool. When it cooled, I cut off the kernels. 

I added a little salt, hot sauce and lemon juice to the corn to marinate it for a few minutes while I prepared the rest of the produce. 

After washing and chopping the produce, here was my assembly line.

I decided I wanted to add everything to a big bowl (I used my salad spinner bowl since I had it out) to toss the ingredients with the dressing. I love salads with dressing evenly spread onto every piece. 

I used tongs to put them onto our plates. Not sure that's vital info to this recipe - but it's what I did :)



After Nick's first bite, his words were, "This is incredible." Mission accomplished! :) I think the freshness of the produce plus the delicious dressing was a great combo. I need to make up a bottle of that dressing to use on our salads from now on - it was SO tasty! 


Today's Pinspiration:
(Pinterest Source)


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...