Saturday, November 16, 2013

Pumpkin Chili & Grace and Lace

This time of year, I love soups. Last year, it seemed like we did a crockpot soup just about weekly. I love prepping the meal once and getting multiple meals out of it. And I just love soups. I've got a new Pumpkin Chili recipe for you today! 

First, a recap of our week in photos:
I got out my crochet needles and made a few things last weekend. It made my heart so happy! 

A cowl I'm working on. 

These perfect dainty flowers (that I'm guessing are weeds..) are so pretty in the backyard right now. 

We've started leash training with Ranger which is much more difficult than you'd guess. Maybe he's just difficult ;) but it was quite the accomplishment to get him to walk forward in the leash - baited by treats every few steps. This puppy puts us to work! It's a patient process for sure, but teaches us a lot too. Learning moments right here.

A few nights ago while leash training in the back yard, Ranger walked too close to the pool in the bricks and his back leg slipped right into the pool. It happened very fast and Nick pulled him out quickly. His whole body didn't even get in the water, probably the lower 3/4 of his body or so. I had just a few minutes earlier put my hand in the water and splashed it around to show him that wasn't a solid surface, but I guess he knows now! Hopefully:)

We also had the first day I (Nick;)) had to scrape my car. He ran out to scrape it for me, such a sweet man. He shows me such unselfish love everyday. 

 My boys- it's a rare moment when Ranger falls asleep on our lap. We soak it up.

My attempt at getting a selfie with Ranger yesterday:)

I'm excited to share this Pumpkin Chili recipe with you! My co-worker has made this chili the past few years for our chili cook-off and it's always a top winner! I had to try it so she kindly gave me the recipe. Everyone loved it. It's so good and the pumpkin adds a heartiness that just hits the spot. 


  • Pumpkin Chili Ingredients:
    2 tablespoons olive oil 
    1/2 cup chopped onion 
    1 cup chopped red or orange bell pepper (seeds/ribs removed) 
    1 clove garlic, finely chopped 
    1 pound ground chicken or beef 
    2 cans (14.5 oz each) diced tomatoes, undrained 
    1 can (15 oz.) Canned Pumpkin (just pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling) 
    1 can (15 oz.) tomato sauce 
    1 can (15.25 oz.) kidney, pinto, OR black beans  
    1 can (4 oz.) Diced Green Chiles 
    1 tablespoon chili powder 
    1 teaspoon ground cumin 
    1 teaspoon salt1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper 
    A few dashes of cinnamon and nutmeg

    Directions:
    Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 to 7 minutes or until tender. Add meat; cook until browned.
    Add ALL remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover; cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
 It's so easy! I whipped it up in probably an hour including prepping the veggies and the cook time. 

(image source)
I've followed this blogger, Melissa, for a few years now. I started reading her blog just after the loss of her baby girl. We were living in Dallas and she was in Austin. My heart just broke for her, but her faith through it all was so inspiring. She has such a sweet heart for the Lord and I kept up with her blog regularly. A while later, she was pregnant again and on a strict bed rest. She started making things to keep herself busy and started an Etsy site (here). We had some interaction in the blogosphere (I helped her get her blog header centered:)) but she stopped blogging so I always wondered how she was doing. Fast forward to a few weeks ago, I saw my friend liked her Grace and Lace page on Facebook. I was in awe! I felt like I was reunited with a friend again. Her family is adorable! She announced this week she took her business on Shark Tank (one of our favorite shows!) and they previewed her episode last night for next week (it airs next Friday night). I love supporting small businesses and am so excited for her and her family. She has a new website: http://www.graceandlace.com and has been so successful with her little shop turned huge success. Check it out and watch her and her hubby on Shark Tank next Friday! 

Today's Pinspiration:
In the spirit of thankfulness. This season, we're counting our blessings. We have so much to be thankful for, in all seasons of life. 
(Pinterest Source)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...