Saturday, March 16, 2013

Southwestern Chicken & Rice Skillet & Extra Inspiration


If you're a follower of Iowa Girl Eats, you're probably as excited as I am about her baby announcement (see her announcement post from last Friday here)! I excitedly told Nick and he was a bit less impressed with the news than I was;) You know how it is though when you follow a blog for years and feel like you KNOW them, that kind of announcement is big news! Anyway, I was excitedly checking back for the gender reveal and am excited for them to hear they're having a boy! 

Speaking of Iowa Girl Eats, this is a recipe I made from her blog recently. It was easy to whip together and I enjoyed it! I'd definitely make it again.

Southwestern Chicken & Rice Skillet
Recipe adapted from Iowa Girl Eats




Ingredients:
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1lb chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
1/4 onion, chopped
2 teaspoons taco seasoning - I made my own using this recipe (add salt if using a salt-free blend) 
1 cup frozen corn kernels, slightly thawed (I had some frozen mixed vegetables so used those)
1 can black beans, drained & rinsed
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup salsa
1 cup long grain white rice (mine was brown rice; Iowa Girl Eats used jasmine)
Directions: 
Heat oil in a very large skillet over high heat. Add chicken and onion then season with taco seasoning and salt, if necessary. Sauté for 2-3 minutes – chicken does not need to be cooked all the way through.
Add corn, beans, salsa, and chicken broth to the skillet then bring to a boil. Stir in rice then place a lid on top, turn heat down to medium-low, and simmer for 15 minutes. Let sit off the heat for 5 minutes before serving.
I love easy meals for weeknights that include "easy" ingredients I usually keep on hand! 

What are your top favorite blogs to keep updated on? 

I have many (including some personal friends I check regularly), but here are a few public blogs I love!
Kelly's Korner: Her kids are so cute, I admire her love for the Lord, and her sweet southern charm.
In this Wonderful Life: Her twins are absolutely adorable, I like to go there even just to see what outfits they wore most recently:) Too much cuteness there!
Enjoying the Small Things: Kelle is such a talented writer, her writing, photography, and her girls are beautiful.
Iowa Girl Eats (of course): She went to my high school (though I didn't know her), so it's fun to follow her and she also helps keep me in the loop with Des Moines happenings, and they used to live in Minneapolis so we have all kinds of connections!
Young House Love: They're funny, full of DIY ideas, and are good inspiration for home decorating.
O My Family: This young mom is so real and honest about her days, I just love it. She also lives in Minneapolis which is fun! 

I follow some other foodie blogs too, but I need to find some good gluten free/dairy free ones - most of the ones I've loved for so long don't have as many recipes for the foods I eat now. If anyone has wondered where my time goes (...hi honey:)...), there are quite a few other blogs I like to keep up with, but it does get time consuming! I skip over posts from time to time, but really do enjoy them.
Today's Pinspiration:

I have been finding lots of inspiring quotes lately, so I'll share some of them with you. I post many of these through Instagram, but just in case you can use the extra inspiration today. 











Have a great rest of the weekend! 

1 comment:

Denise said...

Thanks for the inspiration. I wish I had more of a desire to blog. You make it seem so fun. I love you guys!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...