Thursday, March 28, 2013

Lemon Loaf with Lemon Glaze {Grain Free}



(source)
I've been healing over ISU's heartbreaking loss Sunday to Ohio State. Some commentators said we should've won the game with a foul not called with just a few minutes left in the game that would've turned things around. I was stunned the game ended the way it did (by a last minute second 3-point shot made (get this - it was his first 3 point of the game)) to break the tie and let Ohio State take the win. If you're an ISU fan, I'm sure you're with me. It was a tough loss, but it's still awesome we made it to the "big dance" two years in a row :)   

Overall, I appreciate ISU's coaches and the things they've done for our teams and for our guys. With Coaches Hoiberg and Rhoads (just to name a few), we have a lot to be proud of and a bright future to look forward to. Moving onto a tasty treat that helped mend my wounds;) this week.

Delicious Lemon Loaf with a Lemon Glaze
Recipe from Primally Inspired

The ingredients in this lemon loaf are great and many on her site compare this to Starbuck's lemon loaf - and this is MUCH healthier. I was really impressed by how moist this is. It's almost like jello cake it's so moist. If you like this type of thing, you have to try this recipe. 
(source)
Makes 1 loaf

Loaf Ingredients:

6 eggs

¼ cup coconut oil or butter, melted

Zest from 2 lemons (I just bought 1 lemon and used the juice from the little lemon juice containers)

juice from 2 lemons plus enough milk of choice (coconut milk from can or box, dairy milk, almond milk, etc.) to equal 1 cup*

1/3 cup honey

2/3 cup coconut flour (do NOT substitute another flour – it will not work. I used Bob's Red Mill coconut flower)

1 heaping teaspoon baking soda

¼ tsp salt

This grater was my "zester" as I don't have one:) 
Lemon Glaze:

2 T butter or coconut oil

2 T honey

2 T milk of choice

zest and juice from 1 lemon (since I didn't have any more zest for this step, I used some of the fresh lemon pulp I had)

½ tsp pure vanilla extract


DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350.

Combine all the lemon bread ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix well. Pour into a greased bread pan and bake for 32-45 minutes (mine was perfect at the 35 minute mark, but it may take up to 45 minutes) or until golden on top and middle is cooked through. If the top starts to get too brown towards the end of the cooking time, put some foil over the top. Let cool.

To make the lemon glaze:

While the lemon loaf is cooking, mix all glaze ingredients together in a small pot over low heat until it starts to simmer (I like easy, so I did this in the microwave and it worked just fine!). Remove from heat and let sit to cool until the lemon loaf is finished cooking and cooling. Pour the glaze all over the top of the loaf. Refrigerate the loaf at least 30 minutes – 1 hour until both the glaze and the loaf firms up a bit. Enjoy! Store leftovers refrigerator.

If you do not feel like making the glaze, you can skip this step (although, I highly recommend taking the few extra minutes and making it – that glaze is so good!). You just need to add the following glaze ingredients directly to the lemon bread mix: honey, lemon zest and juice, and vanilla.

*Juice your 2 lemons and pour the lemon juice in a 1 cup measuring cup. Add enough milk to the lemon juice until you reach 1 cup.




Her lemon loaf is clearly more photogenic than mine ;) but it was delicious and I'll definitely be making this tasty treat again! 


If you follow me on Instagram, you may have seen that my week didn't start off very well. I woke up with a stiff, very achy neck and a doozy headache on Monday. I couldn't get rid of the neck pain all day and the headache went up and down in intensity throughout the day. Thankfully (and amazingly), I woke up feeling much better Tuesday morning. 



Tuesday, I had physical therapy which is going well. I continue to learn new things and learned a "belly finger stretch" sounds great, eh? Haha, my stomach area is always so tight, so she digs into my mid section to basically stretch it out as she thinks it could basically be pulling everything down. 

That could cause my poor upper posture, headaches, neck-aches, etc. This is her theory, so we're testing it out and getting that area stretched out. She thinks IBS is the cause of that tightness. We'll see, but I'm always in learning mode when I go there, they see things so differently from my previous PTs. 

(source)
Raise your hands if you're ready for spring. I am! This picture inspired me this week. It looks so warm, cozy, and just dreamy. 

Thank the Lord tomorrow is Friday! Whooo! And it's supposed to be close to 50 degrees tomorrow! I hope it's warm where you are too (Dad, I already know it's warm where you are- he loves to remind me:)).


Today's Spring-Inspired Pinspiration:

(source)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...