Friday, September 9, 2011

No-Bake Mint Bars

I must say, we were a bit skeptical about these mint bars before making them. Boy were we wrong! After taking our first bites, Nick and I agreed these are awesome. Nick even said it may be one of his favorite desserts ever! That's a big deal. This recipe is so good and the mint flavor is so refreshing. I also loved that we didn't have to heat up the oven to make them!

I forgot to take a final photo, so this one will do! As you'll notice, mine were not this neat looking... (Img)






 I put my cookies in a gallon sized ziplock bag and used a rolling pin to crush them to a better size.




 Yummm....











No-Bake Mint Bars
Recipe adapted from Betty Crocker
Makes 25 small bars

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter
1 bag (10 oz) semisweet chocolate chips (1 2/3 cups)
2 cups crushed chocolate wafer cookie crumbs (I crushed chocolate cookies with mint filling)
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 tablespoon milk
1/2 tsp peppermint extract
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 drops green food color
2 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup butter

Directions:
Lightly grease 9 inch square pan. In 2 quart saucepan, melt 1/2 cup butter and 1/2 cup chocolate chips over low heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in cookie crumbs until well mixed. Press evenly in pan and refrigerate until firm, about 10 minutes.

While those are cooking, in a small bowl, beat 1/4 softened butter, the milk, peppermint extract, vanilla, and food color with electric mixer on medium speed until well mixed. On low speed, gradually beat in powdered sugar until smooth.

Spread peppermint mixture evenly over crumb mixture. In your saucepan [I used the same one from earlier], melt remaining chocolate chips and 1/3 cup butter over low heat, stirring constantly. I had leftover cookie crumbs, so I stirred them into the mixture here. Spread evenly over peppermint mixture, and refrigerate until chocolate is set, 10-15 minutes. Enjoy!

This is before I cooled them - they'll harden up in the fridge. Enjoy your refreshing treat!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...