Saturday, February 19, 2011

Simple and Delicious Sugar Cookies

 The cookie recipe is up next. First, a fun new centerpiece for our table! I had a darker look which felt more wintry to me so I wanted to freshen it up a bit to feel more like spring. I found the earthy vine-like mat at Pier 1 on clearance for about $1.50! When I grabbed the vase and fake cherries I had at home (both from Target), I really liked the combo. I added a candle plate under the vase for stability and viola! An updated look.

It feels good to rid the winter looks and rearrange things to look more fresh. We recently rearranged lamps (both floor and table) and moved them all around here to give each room a new fresh feeling. Not quite spring cleaning, but spring arranging ;)



Yes, you may notice our waters on the table above.. we have to stay hydrated :) My dad also fashioned those cup holders for us for Christmas, made out of tiles and added felt pieces underneath! They match perfectly and work very well.


 Sugar Cookies
There are lots of sugar cookie recipes out there so I searched for a simple recipe with ingredients I already had and this was a great recipe! Found on allrecipes.com like usual :) I love reading the reviews for tips and tricks other bakers learned while making them. Nick enjoys simple desserts where I prefer 8 kinds of chocolate in one cookie haha so I wanted to give him a special treat today! We both love them though, it's a keeper recipe and so easy!

 Ingredients:
2 and 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup butter softened (recipe called for 1 cup, I got away with 3/4 :))
1 and 1/2 cups white sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:
In a bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients. Roll rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into balls, and place onto ungreased cookie sheets - like usual, I used parchment paper on the cookie sheets... so much easier to clean up. I also "dipped" the cookie in powdered sugar to be pretty but wouldn't be necessary. Bake 8 - 10 minutes or until golden in preheated 375 degree oven. Let stand on cookie sheet two minutes before removing to cool on wire rack.

You can see that the melted powdered sugar made a crackly looking glaze

 They are crisp and a bit crunchy on the outside but soft on the inside, just the way we like a good sugar cookie.

 Yum... Enjoy!
**Click HERE for a quick and easy buttercream frosting recipe that tastes great with these cookies!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...