Sunday, February 6, 2011

Caramel Filled Chocolate Cookies

 We made these cookies yesterday (the ones we trekked through the snowy mess to get the key ingredient for on Friday) and they may be the best cookies I've ever made. Maybe the best I've eaten?! They're so good and definitely fulfill any chocolate/sweets craving you may have. I got the recipe from Iowa Girl Eats' site.



Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter (I melted my butter)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
24 Rolos OR cut up 24 pieces your fav chocolate/caramel candy - I used 3 caramel Milky Ways sliced into 8 pieces per bar
1/4 cup granulated sugar


Directions:
1.  Cream butter and sugars. Add egg and vanilla then mix until combined.
2. In a separate bowl mix flour, baking soda, salt & cocoa powder. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients in three batches, mixing well between each batch. Chill dough for 20 minutes in the freezer.
3. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Scoop out ~1 Tablespoon dough and wrap it around your piece of candy. Roll dough in sugar and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 8 minutes, rotating pan half way through. Enjoy!


Now for the photos...
Here are my wet ingredients


The dry ingredients

Combined ingredients - the cookie dough

The caramel Milky Way I used - a bit different from the typical Milky Ways


Milky Way bar cut up into 8 pieces


I rolled the dough in my hands, added the caramel piece and formed the dough into a ball around it, making sure it was sealed well.




Roll the cookie ball in sugar and place on cookie sheet - I used parchment on the cookie sheet paper for easy cleanup


After baking - mine split slightly and smelled wonderful!






These cookies are so good. A great recipe for pot lucks/treats for co-workers or just for fun - the end result looks more difficult that the process to make them :) YUM! Enjoy.


Our Superbowl menu for the day:
Texas Chicken Quesadilas
Hot Artichoke and Spinach Dip with Whole Wheat Beer Bread
And of course these yummy chocolate caramel cookies we made yesterday ;)

Recipes to follow... 


What's on your menu for the Superbowl?


5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Marissa and Nick,

We are heading over to Melissa's for Super Bowl & appetizers. I can't believe your snow! That is crazy since it was so hot in August. We are taking taco dip and scoops and I made a Valentine cake with heart sprinkles. Love you, Aunt Michele

Marissa said...

Have fun, Aunt Michele! Those treats sound great! :) tell everyone hello!

Maggie said...

o.m.g...i have GOT to make these. i'm currently eating chocolate chips straight from the bag, because i'm having such a chocolate craving. i'd do anything for one of your cookies right now!!

Maria Alban said...

Marissa these cookies look yummy. I need to figure out what I am going to make Bart and I for Valentines Day. I kind of want to make some fun cookies so I might borrow one of your many cookie ideas :)

Marissa said...

Maggie and Maria, you totally should :) These ones are ah-mazing. Maria, Let me know what you end up making - that's a sweet idea ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...