Sunday, January 9, 2011

Chili & Whole Wheat Beer Bread

It was a wintry mess outside today (so weird to say from Dallas)! Good day to stay in, make comfort food and watch the snow fall from the warmth of our home.


This yummy candle helped create the atmosphere I was going for...

Back to that comfort food...

Chili
For this chili, I combined two recipes; one that came in our crock pot recipe booklet and this five star chili recipe on allrecipes.com. I added what I had and you certainly don't need to add everything I did; give and take based on what you have and what you like. We lived on the edge and tried adding some new ingredients - it was a success!


Ingredients:
1/4 lb pinto beans: I used a 25 oz (I think...) can
1 can chili beans
2 14 1/2 oz can tomatoes
2 lbs ground beef, browned and drained
1 green pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1/3 can beer
1 can tomato soup
1 1 oz envelope instant hot chocolate mix
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 - 3 tbs chili powder
1 tbsp teriyaki sauce
1 tsp hot sauce
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp salt

Soften beans by cooking in boiling water on stove (I did mine about 15 mins). Drain water. Put all ingredients in crock pot and stir. Cover and cook on low for 10 - 12 hours or on high 5 - 6 hours.

Whole Wheat Beer Bread

Apparently I was on a cooking-with-beer kick... and I don't even drink beer! But it sure is good for cooking :) I made it while the chili was cooking. The recipe I used is found here.


Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 (12 oz.) can or bottle beer (flavor of bread will change depending on type of beer) We used Shiner
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x5 loaf pan.

In a large mixing bowl, combine all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, salt and brown sugar. Pour in beer, stir until stiff batter is formed. Scrape dough into loaf pan. Add 1/8 to
1/4 cup melted butter over the batter before baking (I added this after reading the helpful reviews of this recipe on allrecipes.com!).


Bake in preheated oven for 50 - 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Mine was done right at 50 minutes.

The crust is my fav part - crunchy, salty and sweet! Seriously good.

This was a very tasty and wholesome combo - I'll be stuffed all night!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great wintertime combo!!! Love Ya, Dad :o)

Marissa said...

Oh it was! Chili in the winter is the best too :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...